Immigration Solicitors UK

Defending Rights and Delivering Results

Tel: 020 8681 5128   |   Fax: 020 8686 9776   |   Find Us ›

Contact Us

For help with immigration and visas please contact our Croydon Offices:

020 8681 5128

Online Enquiry

Find Us

Recent News RSS

9th March 2014

Challenging Decisions Refusing ‘Adult Dependant Relatives’ Entry Clearance to the UK

Barnes Harrild & Dyer, are specialist immigration solicitors based in Croydon. We write this Article ... Read more ›

7th January 2013

New Settlement Route for Commonwealth HM Armed Forces

Many will recall various accounts of Commonwealth citizen recruits in the British army being denied ... Read more ›

Naturalisation Services

Naturalisation is the method by which a foreign national who is settled in the UK may acquire British citizenship.

For most people, becoming a citizen by naturalisation may not be a complicated process, but bearing in mind that the Secretary of State may choose to refuse an application for naturalisation even where the applicant meets all the legal requirement, in addition to the fact that the fee paid to the Home Office for the application is not refundable when the application fails, it is advisable to seek professional legal advice from a UK based firm of Solicitors that has experience of naturalisation and visa services before you apply.

To qualify and to apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen, a foreign national living in the UK must obtain settled status either through marriage to a person settled in the UK or through length of residence in the UK. However, there are additional requirements of the rules which must be met such as age, how long you have lived in the UK, whether you intend to live permanently in the UK and whether you are of good character. You will also be required to show that you have sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the UK.

Naturalisation for EEA and Swiss citizens

We also offer advice on British citizenship applications for EEA and Swiss citizens. An EEA or Swiss citizen may apply for naturalisation if he or she can prove that they have a right of permanent residence in the UK and satisfies additional rules.