Immigration Solicitors UK

Defending Rights and Delivering Results

Tel: 020 8681 5128   |   Fax: 020 8686 9776   |   Find Us ›

Contact Us

For help with immigration and visas please contact our Croydon Offices:

020 8681 5128

Online Enquiry

Find Us

Recent News RSS

9th March 2014

Challenging Decisions Refusing ‘Adult Dependant Relatives’ Entry Clearance to the UK

Barnes Harrild & Dyer, are specialist immigration solicitors based in Croydon. We write this Article ... Read more ›

7th January 2013

New Settlement Route for Commonwealth HM Armed Forces

Many will recall various accounts of Commonwealth citizen recruits in the British army being denied ... Read more ›

Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK

Any person now applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the United Kingdom is required to undertake the ‘Life in the UK’ test as a demonstration that they have sufficient knowledge of the English language and of life in the UK. We can advise on how to book and prepare for the test.

Those aged under 18 or over 65 are exempt from taking the test as are those whom the Secretary of State believes it would be unreasonable to expect to complete the test because of their mental or physical condition.

There are a number of categories of people who qualify for indefinite leave to remain under the UK Immigration rules. The main categories are: -

  • Those who entered on a two year spousal visa, civil partner visa, fiancé visa or unmarried and same sex partner visa
  • Those who entered the UK on a spousal visa, civil partner visa or unmarried and same sex partner visa and whose relationship broke down as a result of domestic violence
  • Those who have been in the UK on a valid HSMP, work permit, Tier 1 or 2 visa or any combination of these concurrently for a period of five years and their dependents
  • Those who were granted five years leave to remain as a refugee

It is very important that any application for indefinite leave to remain in the UK is made prior to the expiry date of the current leave to remain.

In addition, those children who are entering the UK to join a parent here are on a permanent basis must apply for entry clearance for indefinite leave to enter the UK.

Indefinite leave to remain in the UK may also be granted if the applicant has been in the UK for a period of ten years lawfully or for fourteen years lawfully, unlawfully or a mixture of the two. There are certain restrictions in the grant of indefinite leave to remain for those who have been resident in the UK unlawfully in the fourteen year category.